Camp Bennet is Dead.

I’ve started to write this post several times but I didn’t know where to start. For those of you who know me well, you know that my house is affectionately known as Camp Bennett. This is because I have a back house that for the past 6 years been occupied by one friend or another. This resulted in a common area between the houses that was frequently used for witching hour parties, after work relaxing, celebrating, a gathering of our four legged friends and lots of debating. More than once, we have made up excuses to celebrate at Camp Bennet. A common reason was to celebrate the first blooms on “the big tree,” or the fact that we just had all the trees trimmed making Camp Bennett seem larger and even more inviting than usual. Of course, “Ashley got a new pair of shoes,” was yet another often used (and important) reason to have a gathering of friends in the backyard. It has been the site of genius dreams that we have watched unfold (Kickpleat, Homegirls, “I think I’m going back to school,” and “I’m moving to Cypress/Scotland/Azerbijian….” depending on the person) as well as devastating heartbreaks and losses. Needless to say it has meant a lot to me and I thank you all for living here and/or gathering here.

The back house is being turned into my studio. There are no longer tenants. There is currently a crew of ten men working here everyday to transform the main house and backyard into something that a homeowner would be proud of – finally. IT’s going to be better than ever. So I’ll be posting photos of the changes being made. I apologize in advance if you find this boring.

Camp Bennett is Dead.

Long live Rancho Garmondo.

Apparently the south wall of the back of the house had no insulation. You can see it in the above photo. This explains so much….

It’s creating quite a mess.

That’s it for now.

Stay tuned…
Ash

18 thoughts on “Camp Bennet is Dead.

1. emily says:

OMG – so much has happened there in the last few days…you have a roof! And will soon have new windows! Super exciting.And just as an aside, don’t you ever wish you had invented Tyvek? I do – every time I see them put in on every house that has ever been built.I know it’s hard seeing Camp Bennett torn apart like that… all the memories… But, as someone who has just been through it too – it will soon be worth it.Vivo Rancho Garmondo!!

2. Anonymous says:

Wow… the end of an era. Exciting and kind of sad- but mostly exciting, we are just talking face lift and new name. The spirit will always be the same. Just imagine what we will come up with now that the hot sun isn’t beating down on us because we are sitting on super sweet covered porch. In fact, I think this renovation is among the plans hatched at the old Camp. Think of how much longer our ice will keep- who would have ever dreamed? Besides you, I mean. I guess this means when I come back to Austin, I will actually have to move into your house. Be advised: I now have a washer/dryer and a dog. Let the games begin. -B

3. Anonymous says:

The Garmon back yard… lots of good times there! Remember the Striper we got for you and Ash, Darcy putting those sparklers into a full bottle of wine (whatever happend to her?)… Anywho, looks awesome! SeanBTW 1) it’s Azerbaijan2) you should totaly come for a visit… When are you going to be in Paris? – (there are direct flights from there to Tbilisi) Georgia is an amazing place and this is a once in a life time opportunity for amazing photos, culture, food and wine!!

4. Sarah says:

Wow things have progressed so much in just one week! Oh, and no wonder why I was always so cold in the winter. Insulation…who would have thought?

5. Ashley Garmon says:

Ash and Sean -the huffers are still around but I mostly see them panhandling on the corner of I35 and 51st Street. Which is odd because I know they live next door. BTW, I also wonder if Darcie is still alive. Maybe she’ll make a big comeback someday, like Janet Jackson. Or more fittingly, Michael Jackson.

6. Anonymous says:

We are in awe! Can’t wait to see the completedRancho Garmondo. God bless you, Jude, and Daly, in the meantime!Lots of love’Dad and Ann

7. Loco Hermano says:

Rancho Garmondo, whos going to clean up the goat poop, and where are you gonna stake out the fighting roosters. Buena Suerta, Tu Hermano, Pablo Marteen Garmoan, El Tres

8. Danny says:

Wow. The renovation looks even crazier than when you explained it to me. At the time, I thought I could visualize it, but I see I was way off. Long Live Rancho Garmondo!

9. Anonymous says:

Well, you know you have arrived when you have a “Rancho” – it takes a very talented and successful woman to build and run a rancho – so viva el rancho y la mujer Garmon!